Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mother is Sore

"The President in Washington sends word that he wishes to buy our land. But how can you buy or sell the sky? the land? The idea is strange to us. If we do not own the freshness of the air and the sparkle of the water, how can you buy them?" - CHIEF SEATTLE


When I was a young man I went to a medicine man for advice concerning my future. The medicine man said: "I have not much to tell you except to help you understand the earth on which you live...If a man is to succeed on the hunt or the warpath he must not be governed by his inclination but by an understanding of the ways of animals and his natural surroundings, gained through close observation. The earth is large, and on it live many animals. The earth is under the the protection of something which at times becomes invisible to the eye." - LONE MAN, ISNA-LA-WICA, TETON SIOUX

Every part of all this soil is sacred to my people. Every hillside, every valley, every plain and grove has been hollowed by some sad or happy event in days long vanished. The very dust you now stand on responds more willingly to their footsteps than to yours, because it is rich with the blood of our ancestors and our bare feet are conscious of the sympathetic touch. 
And when the last red man shall have perished, and the memory of my tribe shall become a myth among the white men, these shores will swarm with the invisible dead of my tribe; and when our children’s children think themselves alone in the field, the store, the shop, upon the highway, or in the pathless woods, they will not be alone. 
Let him be just and deal kindly with my people, for the dead are not powerless. Dead, did I say? There is no death, only change of worlds. - CHIEF SEATTLE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Words Here